Thursday, November 1, 2012

Things that make you go hmmm... part 2

A while back we shared several short stories from our musings about life West Africa to tickle your funny bone.  Here goes round two:
  • One day i was pulled over by a traffic custodian (there's another name for it, but our organization's policy requires me to remain apolitical) who told me i went the wrong way through the roundabout.  I knew i hadn't, but i played along.  He told me he could let me go if i gave him a little money.  I told him i wouldn't be able to do so for two reasons: (1) I work for our organization who has a policy against bribing such traffic custodians.  (2) The job of traffic custodian is a respectful and honorable job.  If i were to give him money, his honor and respect would decrease.  He replied, "Hey!  You're right.  Here's my partner.  Give it to him."
  • Speaking of roundabouts (aka. "traffic circles"), the rule here is that people entering the roundabout have the right of way over the people already in it.  How often do you think that causes a traffic jam?  Every.  Single.  Day.
  • A few days ago Racheal was running full steam on the treadmill at a local gym.  The city power cut off and she ran into the control panel and about flipped through the mirror in front of her.  Lucky for us, our gym offers muscle memory confusion training.
  • I asked some of my friends the other day why they like Obama so much.  They told me, "Because he's from Africa."  I told them that recently Obama produced a birth certificate to prove he was born in Hawaii and that most US Americans believe it.  They looked at me as if i was crazy and they started to giggle.  Even so, no one from the American Democratic National Convention seems to be slandering these guys as members of the most radical conservative "birthers" movement.  Why do you suppose not?
  • A couple weeks ago i was sitting in the waiting area at the local telecommunications office in order to get my internet turned on at home.  It took all day long.  To break up the boredom, about mid-morning, just after the city power cut off and the company's onsite generator cranked up, one of the company's employees in a suit and tie ran out of a back room yelling something about a fire and a propane leak.  You should have seen the chaos as 100+ people screamed and jumped to their feet and flooded the front door.  Then all of a sudden the employee who started the whole thing, just began laughing and told everyone that it was a joke.  Everyone in the room except me began to laugh with this guy as if he had done something funny.  I began to wonder what lawsuits might arise if this was to happen in the USA.

1 comment:

bethany said...

LOVE IT!!! Rachel did that really happen? I mean I could see it happening.... :) So awesome