Friday, February 25, 2011

...Here We Come

Rice (essentials for the skimmers):

  • Watch our latest video: Episode 2!
  • We're learning the language and have made some strides.
  • Our son has been really sick, but is better now.


Sauce (extras for the more detail oriented):


Dear friends,


Since the making of the above video, we have made two trips to the "village" where we intended to do language learning. Both times the Enemy met us. Our son got sick... really sick. Sleepless nights didn't make for effective language study, so we dropped back and punted, so to speak. We are doing language study from our home in our base town. We seem to be more effective there anyway in language study, relationship building, and functioning as a family.


I was thinking the other day, "We're not in Tobaccoville anymore." Here were some clues that led me to that conclusion:

  • The driver’s license office copied my information from my NC driver’s license to make my new one. I guess they got confused which info was my name and which was my old street address. Now my official documented name is Martin Ferry. (If you think it’d be funny to call me Mr. Ferry, just know that someone has already beaten you to the punch.)
  • The plastic used to make our toilet seats is not too strong. When we first arrived in our new house the toilet seat in one of the two bathrooms snapped in two during the first sitting. Luckily, the other seat lasted twice as long.
  • Many people here turn their vehicle headlights off at night because it wastes gas.
  • I was taking a stroll in the village one day. I greeted a man i had never seen before. He offered his 15-year-old daughter to me in marriage. #1, gross. #2, i’m happily married. #3, i’m monogamous even though this culture is polygamous. #4, i’d like to keep #2 the way it is. So i shouted, “No! I’m married.” That had little effect on the polygamist father and daughter. The girl followed me for a couple hundred yards before i darted into the woods to hide. She couldn’t find me. I’m happy to announce that #2 is still in effect.
  • My boss is a 59-year-old, white-bearded, 260-pound Brazilian with a button nose and glasses (He's kinda got the Shaun Connery-thing going for him). The other day some kids got confused and called me by his name. I guess, to them, all white people look alike.
  • A very old woman asked my coworker and i for something to eat. She lifted up her t-shirt a few inches to show us her skinny belly, however in became painfully obvious that this woman had never seen a bra. We consented to getting her some bread as long as she put her shirt back down.
  • A West African electrician who's doing some work for us is probably one of the best in the country. He's been doing work for our mission for 20 years. The only thing is that on hot days he strips down to his boxers... while he's working. The other day i found him fixing something in my garage... really sweaty... and wearing polka-dotted underwear.
  • The village school teacher where we have done some language study doesn't speak English. He has a pair of second-hand black pants that say “MISS SEXY” across the buttocks in silver glitter. He has no idea. I think someone should notify the Salvation Army its screening process needs some tweaking.


Prayer ReQuests:

  • Pray that we would be good stewards of our time.
  • Pray that we would diligently and whole heartedly devote ourselves to learning the Usus language.
  • Praise God for allowing us to "get better" at living over here. It's getting easier. We're learning.
'til the whole world hears,
corey reid pendergrass

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey bro I totally feel you here in W. Africa and i enjoy some of those same experiences.. always an adventure here but that is how I like it!

JP said...

I have laughed so hard that I cried this morning. I know there are serious needs for prayer and am praying for you all and those around you. I must say that some of these scenarios you have experienced, will serve as a reminder to pray. I don't think I will get them out of my head for a while. Love you all!

Dawn said...

We just watched the video and are weeping for joy. A BABY!!!!!!! We are praying for you and so is our church. Take care of each other. What an impact your marriage relationship can have in that culture for the glory of God. It is a picture of Christ and His church. Plus...it has so many earthly bonuses. Crazy in love with your family. The Mulroneys.

Joe & Ann said...

Thank you for such a real life picture of what you're experiencing. We look forward to any of your news and thank our Lord that we can count you both as our friends.

Kevin said...

What an awesome start to your new life, you brought a smile to my face seeing you find humor in what many would say theres no way i would do that. Thank you for not being that way. I will continue to remember your family in my daily time and thank you again for the updates....
Keep-On-Keepin-On... Kevin

Unknown said...

Loved reading the update and watching the video. Remembering you guys. And congrats!!! ~ Love, the Cassadas

Unknown said...

Mia and I enjoyed the video this morning... Congratulations! Continuing to pray for you all...

KATHY said...

Dear Mr.Ferry,
Sooo very happy lil man is all better and certainly pray there will be no reoccurance! as I read of the differences,home here,opposed to W.Africa...I couldn't reframe from thinking of...the possible similarites of the area under the 'Donaha Bridge'area:)....just saying!
Keep the updates coming!!!

Keri V said...

I think I will remember to pray for you each time I sit on a working toilet seat. Keep the updates coming. Do you guys have a due date?

Lauren Elise said...

1. I have not laughed that hard in a while. Okay, maybe - but that was HILARIOUS!
2. It makes my heart happy to know that the joy of the LORD continues to be your strength. What a beautiful gift. Praying laughter's healing power is continually visible in your lives. :)
3. I can't watch the video on my smart phone - guess it's not that smart - but from previous comments - Congratulations!!!
Love yuns!!! Looking forward to continuing stories of Gods goodness, grace and power. Go China!! :)

Anonymous said...

Matthew 5:14- "You are the light of the world." All the way over here at home I can see you shining...your rays are beautifully blinding and I pray that God's blessings and protection are heaped on, in and around all three of you!
Sharee

Rance said...

hahahahahah I must say your experieinces did get me very tickled!!!! Our school filter wont allow me to watch the video......sadness! Jenni and I will fer sure watch it tonite at home as part of my quarter century plus two yrs celebration!haha! Marriage gets better everyday!!!! love love love my wife!!!! we think and pray fer yalll soooooooo MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! got your prayer card on our frige and you know we be going to the frige LOTS! :) im prayin your electrician dont get to hott in his briefs and try and cool off any more!!!!
LOVE YOUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Unknown said...

Kanoot says hi. I am coming to Conakry June 4-11 and wondered if we could connect. I tried your email but it bounced. I will be staying at the Mariador Palace Hotel and working with Ken Blackwell to deliver a Marketing Seminar. Will you be available? My email is handelbarr@yahoo.com.
Cheers. Bill Barr